Saturday, May 15, 2010

is it really just about shopping?

So I've started running. Not only have I started running, but I've dragged Mark into it - and Dessie comes along because Dessie is a dog and dogs like to GO WITH.

We're about to start week 3 of the Couch to 5K program and I'm nervous I won't be able to do it. But we spent today getting new shoes. I'm usually extremely happy and excited to try on shoes but today was a different experience. Running shoe stores are crazy. I don't want to go to one again for a very long time. And I can't afford to go to one again for a very long time so hopefully our purchases were good ones.

I got these: http://bit.ly/9M9IOy

and Mark got these: http://bit.ly/b9Nre0

We went to two fancy running stores and 2 discount stores + I looked at a bunch of places online. I'm hoping the choices are good ones. Mark ended up with a full size larger than he usually wears. Mine are my regular size, although the shoe guy at the first store wanted me to go up a size. Kata says I'll know if I made the right decision based on how many toenails turn black. My toenails have only just returned to normal after last summer's Cascade hike so I'm hoping for zero black nails.

Summary of the first two weeks of this running program? The first week was really easy for me and I did it on my own. The second week was harder and not as fun - but I had a cold and I'm hoping that is why. Mark & Dessie started coming with me for week 2. Dessie really seems to like it, and Mark is into it too. He says he is feeling better already. I don't know if I feel any better. I think that's because I've been sick.

Last night I had really horrible foot pain that kept me up most the night. It reminded me of some pain I had after the cascade hike - at the base of my big toe. Hopefully the new shoes will take care of that.

Tomorrow I'm going to start taking beginning of week pictures. Maybe by seeing a week by week picture we'll know if we're progressing at all. I also want to figure out how to put music under the podcasts so I don't get bored if I go by myself. But maybe that won't be an issue if Mark keeps coming with!

I still can't believe we've started in on this. I guess it was only a matter of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment